Ottie Merino is a relatively new Australian outdoor clothing company and, as the name suggests, specialises in Merino garments which have been designed by hikers, for hikers. In this episode we catch up with Paul, one of the founders of Ottie Merino, to find out more about what makes this Australian adventure clothing company worth looking at.
- Podcast introduction
- Episode introduction (time index 0:01:25)
- Brief introduction to Paul (time index 0:01:51)
- General background
- Involvement in the hiking and outdoor industry
- Hiking Spain
- Now let’s get onto Ottie Merino (time index 0:05:14)
- Ottie Merino has been around for just over two years so it’s still a relatively new company many hikers may still not be aware of
- How did the concept come about?
- Why start another clothing company?
- What’s your USP? Australian Merino and Australian owned
- Why Merino? What’s so special about it? (time index 0:09:15)
- Benefits of Merino
- Where do you source your Australian Merino?
- Do you plan to incorporate other fabrics or stay with Merino?
- What are the key products you sell and what makes them different? (time index 0:15:33)
- I’ve noticed over the past couple of years that you involve your customers in product development which seems to be a unique way of doing business (time index 0:19:54)
- Was this a deliberate choice or something that just happened?
- What question should we have asked you?
- Ethical production (time index 0:22:13)
- Tim and Gill brief wrap up (time index 0:25:41)
- Close (time index 0:33:39)
Listening to the Australian Hiker Podcast
You can listen to just one episode but the best way to listen to the Australian Hiker Podcast is by subscribing through iTunes, Podbean, Stitcher Radio, Spotify where the podcast episodes will be delivered to your device almost as soon as they are published. Go on, you know you want to!
You can listen to the Australian Hiker Podcast in the following ways:
- Through our website. All our episodes can be found here
- On Apple technology listen through Apple Podcasts here
- On Android phones (as well as apple) we recommend Podbean
In addition the are a number of other ‘podcatcher’ services that allow you to download our episodes. Below are a few options where to find us:
Australian Hiker can also be found on our various social media platforms
Australian Hiker Facebook
Australian Hiker Instagram
Australian Hiker Twitter
Australian Hiker Pintrest
Australian Hiker Youtube
Australian Hiker is a labour of love for Gill and Tim Savage and any money earned goes straight back into helping to make this blog better. Any support that you provide is greatly appreciated! If you wish to support us, even in some small way, it would be greatly appreciated. So why not buy us a coffee? Support Us
Paul from Ottie Merino, the face behind the voice in this podcast
Ottie Women’s T shirt Otway Fern colour
Ottie Womens T shirt Plum colour